Merry Christmas! We wish you and your family the happiest, sanest and safest of holidays.
Here’s a last minute recipe for Roasted Veal Loin Roast with Wild Rice Pilaf on the off chance you are still menu planning for the holiday weekend. It’s a simple recipe with showstopper results.
Happy Holidays from our family to yours!
- 8 dried Morel Mushrooms
- ½ cup Bread Crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons Savory Spice Shop Herbs in Duxelles Seasoning1½ pound Veal Loin Roast
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely diced shallot
- 8 Cipollini onions, peeled
- 6 ounces Madeira Wine
- 4 fresh thyme sprgs
- 1 tablespoon veal demi-glace mixed with 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Cover 8 dried Morel Mushrooms with 1 cup of hot water and set aside for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine Herbs in Duxelles Seasoning with bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Coat the veal loin roast on all sides in mixture.
- In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil. Brown the veal on all sides for 2 minutes each side. Once veal is browned on all sides, transfer to baking dish and add the Cipollini onions. Place in oven and roast approximately 15-20 minutes, or until meat reaches internal temperature between 135-140.
- While meat is cooking, prepare the sauce by adding the shallots and reserved mushrooms and cook for 1 minute over low heat. Add Madiera wine and thyme, turn up heat to medium and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add the demi-glace mixture and let simmer 5-10 minutes, until it is thick enough to coat back of spoon.
- When veal has reached proper temperature, remove from oven and let rest 5-10 minutes. Then slice and arrange on platter and top with sauce.
- 1 Box Uncle Ben’s Wild & Long Grain Rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 package Melissa’s Produce Dried Porcini Mushrooms reconstituted in 1 cup hot water (reserve water)
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 shallot diced
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup cranberries
- Place box of Uncle Ben’s Rice Mix including seasoning package, reserved water from mushrooms, ¾ cup water, shallots, carrots, and cranberries into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook 7-8 minutes. Stir and reduce heat to a simmer and cook 8-10 minutes longer.