Monday is not a good night for cooking. First, during this time of year there is Monday Night Football that fully occupies Sous Chef’s attention, so he is not available for chopping, dicing, sautéing, seasoning, etc. It makes me feel like Brenda Lee sang:
All alone am I since Sous Chef won’t try
All alone with just a knife in my hand
Family all around but I don’t hear a sound
Just the lonely beating of my heart.
Second, the work week has begun and it is uphill from here. If Wednesday is “Hump Day,” maybe Monday should be “Hill Day”–and there is no joy in that.
So Sous Chef and I have agreed to KISS on Mondays. No, not the romantic kind of lip-lock that at our age seems more a chore than a turn-on. But simplicity in ingredients, recipes, preparation, and cooking time. Pasta and pizza are two popular qualifiers at our house. While my Breville Pizza Maker from Williams-Sonoma renders pizza-making quick and easy, unless I have some pizza dough at hand the effort sometimes seems too much. So pasta is the number one choice for keeping it simple.
My favorite non-tomato based sauce combines sweet and spicy Italian sausages and broccoli rabe. I remove the Italian sausages from their casings and brown them and onions in olive oil. Once browning begins, the broccoli rabe, seasonings, wine, and cream are added and the mixture simmers for about 20 minutes. While the sauce is simmering, the pasta gets cooked so everything is ready at the same time. This dish is quick, delicious, and better than any take-out or deliver-in you might consider ordering!
On the menu this week:
Tuesday – Ramen Carbonara by NinjaBaking.com
Wednesday – Caramelized Onion-Apple Meatballs with Herbs by Shockingly Delicious
Thursday – Spicy Pumpkin Coconut Soup by Mess Makes Food
Friday – Chicken Fricassee by The Foodie Army Wife
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ pound Sweet Italian Sausage
- ½ pound Spicy Italian Sausage
- 1 bunch of Broccoli Rabe
- ½ pound sliced Cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 package short pasta of your choice
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed red pepper to garnish
- Parmesan Cheese to garnish (freshly grated
- Bring pot of water to a boil.
- While the pot of water is boiling, place the onion in a large pan and cook the onion in a small amount of olive oil until it is softened. Remove the sausage from the casing and add to the onion and brown. Add mushrooms and broccoli rabe and continue cooking for another minute. Add wine, bay leaf, salt and pepper and cook for about one minute. Add heavy cream and reduce to heat to a simmer. Continue cooking.
- Cook pasta. When pasta is cooked, drain and transfer to sauce and stir until pasta is coated with sauce. Once pasta is thoroughly mixed, place in a bowl and garnish with crushed red pepper and freshly grated parmesan cheese.